Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Jessica Alba opens up...at last!


Jessica Alba graces the cover of Siempre Mujer’s February/March issue, on newsstands next week. She opens up to the magazine about how she’s reconnecting with her Mexican heritage, how she’d like to star in Spanish-language films and the values she’d most like to instill in her daughter, Honor Marie. Excerpts from the interview follow and are available at Siempre Mujer’s blog www.charlablog.com:

About learning Spanish: “I know the basics, but I just hired a professor that specializes in Hispanic studies to teach me and Honor. God knows that I wish I was raised bilingual. But it wasn’t to be.”

About when the media questioned her about her Hispanic heritage when she was 18: “I tried to explain to them that in this country I’m considered Latina and, thus, I consider myself Latina as well. I grew up eating enchiladas. Even more, in my house the only American-style dish we ate was spaghetti with ground beef. I identify with Mexicans. It’s in my blood whether or not I speak Spanish.”

About why she didn’t defend herself better to the journalists: “I didn’t want to misrepresent Latinos and I didn’t know how to defend myself. But I went to my room and I cried all night. Since then, I’ve preferred not to comment on the subject.”

No comments:

Post a Comment